These are the best and worst books I read this year. I think picking five for each list is a good number. My goal was to read 50 books this year and I am happy to report that I am at 55 books currently and will probably finish one more before the end of the year!
I want to clarify one thing before I list these books. Even though five of these books ended up in my worst list, it doesn’t mean they are awful books. I would 100% mention if they were the worst book ever written and any problems I might have with them. The only reason these five ended up in this list was because compared to everything else I read, these were the slowest, most boring out of all of them. Or they simply weren’t the kind of book I usually enjoy reading so they were unfortunately at a disadvantage.
Best books of 2019
- Skyward by Brandon Sanderson
- Becoming by Michelle Obama
- Ex-Heroes by Peter Clines
- I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter by Erika L. Sanchez
- Star Wars: Darth Bane – Path of Destruction by Drew Karpyshyn
- Reading Skyward proved to me yet again that Brandon Sanderson is an amazing author who keeps writing incredible books. The world Sanderson created within this book is massive and I can’t wait to see where he takes the story in the sequel
- I loved Becoming for the honesty and openness that Michelle Obama gave to her readers. Plus I loved reading about her relationship with Barack from her own words.
- I was surprised how much I enjoyed the Ex-Heroes series because usually I am not a fan of zombie stories (I find them repetitive and boring) but this book gave me a new type of zombie story that I truly enjoyed. Zombies vs Superheroes = AWESOME
- I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter was the book I always needed growing up but never had. I am a first generation Hispanic American that was definitely not that perfect Mexican daughter. It was nice to finally read a book with a character that I could relate to completely.
- All I will say about the Darth Bane series is READ IT! It is one of the best Star Wars series I have ever read.
Worst books of 2019
- Crossroads of Twilight by Robert Jordan
- Running Horse Ranch by Sandra Givens
- A Lush and Seething Hell: Two Tales of Cosmic Horror by John Hornor Jacobs
- Cursed by Thomas Wheeler
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
- Crossroads of Twilight is the 10th book in the Wheel of Time series and I know I might get hate for placing a Robert Jordan book in a worst list but hear me out. It was an okay book but it was just so boring compared to the other books. I have continued the series and I can definitely say the books start improving again after this one.
- Running Horse Ranch was a romance book and unfortunately its just not a genre that I enjoy very much. Easy read.
- I expected more horror from A Lush and Seething Hell but unfortunately it was just boring.
- When I started Cursed, I had a lot of hope because I love Arthurian stories but it fell flat for me.
- I will probably get some hate for placing the Night Circus on my worst list but like the book before, it was just a bit slow and flat. The love story in it was decent but it wasn’t enough to make me truly enjoy this story.